Science at Rosehill contributes significantly to pupils’ enjoyment and understanding of the world and their place within it. This awareness is to extend as far as the pupil is able from being aware of themselves and their immediate environment through to an appreciation of the natural and man-made world within Science. This area is important as it contributes to a broad, balanced, differentiated, and relevant curriculum but will also link across the curriculum. The range of experiences and achievements will contribute to the enrichment of their lives, according to individual needs, abilities, and aptitudes.
Science is made accessible to all pupils through a focus on practical work, first-hand experience and special events designed to inspire and engage learners. Teaching key skills such as making observations, predictions and evaluation of first hand observations are of equal importance to knowledge and understanding.
In the primary and middle school, science is taught by class teachers and is incorporated throughout other subjects and the relevant topic at the time. This ensures a holistic approach in the acquisition of scientific skills and knowledge. Key Stage 3 pupil’s learning is greatly focused towards building independent and problem solving skills to allow pupils to develop their own ability to explore and find things out in science. In the upper school (KS4-5), Science is taught through options.
Pupils will develop an understanding and knowledge of scientific ideas, life processes and skills alongside physical processes, through exploration of the environment, living things. The pupils at Rosehill will also develop an understanding of materials and their properties through objects and events, relating to everyday experiences. In conjunction with this, pupils will learn about the various ways of thinking and finding out about the thinking processes as well as communicating their ideas.
For further information about our Science Curriculum, please contact:
- Rachel Allbrighton R.Allbrighton@rosehill.nottingham.sch.uk
Over the last few years, Rosehill has been involved in a Whole School Science Project called Lab_13. The focus has been on Light and Dark and pupils have been encouraged to develop their curiosity through a range of activities. These include; Exploring objects on a Light Box, looking at different colours using the OHP, exploring torches, exploring UV objects and looking at paint under different lights. In 2018, students from Nottingham University brought to school an Inflativerse to Rosehill (a Giant Dome mimicking a night’s sky). All classes had the opportunity to explore the dome and many students were interested and engaged with the experience. All students have attended Science Lab_13 sessions on a weekly basis. At the end of the Christmas term, teachers chose two students from their class, who particularly engaged in the project, to continue. These pupils spent more time in Lab_13 developing their interest in scientific enquiry and building on their knowledge of light and dark to learn about Earth and Space.
- All pupils have been able to access the sessions
- Most pupils have experienced different concepts, tools, and techniques of scientific inquiry
- The majority have developed their curiosity and interest in a range of scientific activities
- Pupils who have showed a particular interest in Lab_13 identified which themes they enjoy the most and have continued their learning in class using skills learnt
- Pupils from class 4 particularly enjoyed learning about forces and they have been involved in making toy cars in class
- Pupils from class 1 showed great curiosity in the light box and they have been looking at Light and Dark using a Dark Den in class and the mini-mile
- Several students from Class 10 have taken ownership for documenting progress and achievements and have made an evidence book to demonstrate this
- As a result, the project the majority of pupils showed an increase in confident when exploring different materials
- The majority of pupils have showed an increased interest in new activities linked to the science Lab_13 environment