Religious Education & SMSC
The main aim of RE is to encourage respect for all beliefs and cultures as well as helping to promote pupils’ SMSC development. The work in school is based on aspects of the agreed syllabus for RE (Nottinghamshire), which is adapted to meet the needs of the pupils. The teaching of RE is a legal requirement under the Education Act (1996) which requires that RE should be taught to all pupils in full-time education except for those pupils withdrawn at the request of their parents.
At Rosehill, RE helps pupils:
- Develop knowledge, understanding and self-confidence
- Enhance their awareness and understanding of religious beliefs, teachings, values and traditions, practices, forms of expression, family life, communities and cultures
- Bring their own experiences and understanding of life into the classroom and helps them ‘reflect’
- Develop positive attitudes towards others
- Reflect on and consider their own values and those of others
- Deal with issues that form the basis for personal choice and behaviour
- Develop a sense of belonging and identity
- Flourish within their communities as well as individually as citizens in a multicultural society
- Prepare for adult life, employment and lifelong learning
- Show respect, kindness, tolerance towards others
- Become more aware of ethical and moral issues
- Express feelings and thoughts in making choices and decisions
In Early Years and Key Stage 1-3, the curriculum is presented throughout the day, through play and daily routines with opportunities for 1:1 and group work, which takes full account of personal, social and emotional
development. Pupils within Key Stage 4-5 follow a Cross Curricular Syllabus. RE is incorporated within those themes.
Rosehill also has a duty to teach British Values including democracy, the rule of law, individual liberty, mutual respect and tolerance of those of other faiths and beliefs. Our assemblies focus on positive values such as honesty, caring and respect. We aim to provide outstanding spiritual, moral, and social development for our pupils and hold weekly assemblies to celebrate occasions of special significance. Each department has an assembly rota, which brings together RE, SMSC, FBV and PSHE in an assembly each week.
For further information regarding RE and SMSC, please contact:
- Amy Davies A.Davies@rosehill.nottingham.sch.uk